This recipe is basically fail proof and can be used for a quick snack, lunch, dinner, or for sandwiches! Basically anytime you need a quick and delcious bread! You can use this as a base recipe to build on…have some extra garlic to fold into the dough? Fresh herbs? Got extra veggies to put on top? Pizza toppings? Throw it all on there! Seriously, the sky is the limit! When we are short on ingredients this is one thing I can always count on to make which makes it a perfect go to during this quarantine. I usually prep it after the morning chaos has cleared my kitchen and its always ready to go by lunch time.
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 2 cups of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of salt (divided)
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 5 cups of all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons of oil (divided), preferably olive, but whatever you have is fine
- 1/4 cup parmesean cheese
- 2 tablespoons of fresh herbs of your choice OR 1 tablespoon of dry herbs (italian blends are my favorite)
- Dissolve honey or sugar in the warm water in a large bowl, then sprinkle yeast over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and gets bubbly/foamy.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of oil, and 5 cups of flour until the dough comes together. If you are mixing in any onions, garlic, etc…add them in now or just keep it simple and follow the basic salt/oil/flour.
- Knead on a well floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with a light drizzle of oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, usually about 20 minutes depending on the temp of your house.
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees
- Place dough onto oiled baking sheet, and flatten to cover the whole sheet evenly. Use the tips of your fingers to make indentations all over the dough spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Drizzle the focaccia with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, then sprinkle with herbs, Parmesan cheese (if using), and remaining 1 tablespoon of sea salt over the top. Go ahead and add anything else if you are going to or just leave it as is (its delcicious either way).
- Let rest for 10 minutes
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.